RSSBlog Lovin
FacebookPinterest
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Different Valentine

Since it's Valentine's Day, I felt that I should write a post to honor it. Now, I've never been a girl that has loved it or hated it, I've always been kid of indifferent. I haven't ever been someones Valentine, even if I wanted to be. But I think that there's a message I need to share with you guys, especially for teenage girls: be your own Valentine.

This day is one of the worst throughout the year for self hatred; society puts so much pressure on us to date, kiss, and do whatever we need to get one. We're encouraged to lower our standards and morals, we're told we aren't good enough if we don't. For those of us that choose to dress modestly and not spend hours on make up and hair, a lot of the time we feel inadequate because that's not how we're "supposed" to be.

Don't be afraid to be yourself, and to love who you are. I can't pretend to be an expert on self love, especially not recently, but I do know that it's so important. You need to love yourself, first and foremost. When you learn to love yourself, you won't notice as many flaws. Those few extra pounds will no longer be "fat", they'll be beautiful curves. That bad hair day won't be so devastating. That hour spent on trying to cover up your natural beauty with make up can be spent on other things, when you realize that you don't need to because you're already beautiful. {Oh and here's a little tip from one acne-plagued girl to everyone else.... Covering up your acne with make up actually tends to make you break out worse. Keeping your skin clean is the best way to clear it up}.

The type of boy you will want to end up with, won't be attracted to short skirts, low cut shirts, push up bras, clown make up, or pumps. He'll be attracted to you. If the boy you like wants you to cover your face and uncover your body, realize that he's just not the one for you. He may be an amazing person, but he's just not the amazing person for you. You will be so happy and proud if you hold out for a boy that will make you feel beautiful in your sweats with bed hair and morning breath.

I am 16, and will be 17 in March, and I have never dated. I've never kissed a boy. And I'm not ashamed of it. Most people don't understand why, and try to make me feel like there's something wrong with me because of it. But when I look at the girls who dated as soon as they could and wasted their first kiss on a jerk, I know that I'm making the right choice.

This is the time that we're figuring out who we are, what we're going to do, and we can't do that correctly with a boy influencing our decisions. We all know it, being a teenager sucks!!! We have so many trials, and people don't understand that it really is horrible for us. So, think about this: why would you want to willingly add something more to your load?

Anyways, the point of this post is, don't worry about dating. Do what's best for you, learn to love yourself, and figure your life out before you mess it all up with a boy (because boys are stupid and mess us up). Be your own Valentine this year!

No comments: